WELCOME TO ODYSSEY OF THE MIND
Odyssey of the Mind is a creative problem-solving competition for students of all ages. Teams of students select a problem, create a solution, and then present their solution in a competition against other teams in the same problem and division. There are many nuances of the program that are explained further in this presentation (also available on the right-hand side of this page), but here are some of the basics of participation:
- Students work in teams of up to seven members under the guidance of an adult coach.
- Teams spend weeks or months, at their own pace, creating solutions to long-term problems. This includes Style enhancements described in the presentation.
- Team members come up with all the ideas fro their solution and do all the work themselves. Coaches may help teach skills and educate the team on ways of approaching the problem and of evaluating their solution.
- Teams work within the cost limit stated in the problem.
- Teams have 8 minutes to present their long-term problem solution in competition.
- Teams are scored for meeting the requirements of the problem and for creativity in categories specific to each problem.
- At the competition, teams are presented a spontaneous problem to solve on site.
- A team's standing in competition is determined by its combined Long-Term score, Style score, and Spontaneous score.
- To solve a problem, teams must follow the general rules, limitations in the problem, and clarifications issued during the year.
In competition, every team solves a spontaneous problem. Teams are only made aware of what they'll have to do to complete the problem upon entering the competition room. The spontaneous problem is a great way to develop critical thinking and problem solving skills.
Spontaneous problems are "top secret." Teams participating in the same long-term problem and division will solve the same spontaneous problem. To ensure fairness, it is critical that no one discusses the problem outside of the room until all teams have competed.
ODYSSEY OF THE MIND CONTACTS
Odyssey of the Mind Coordinator
Gifted and Talent Coordinator