The state of Minnesota requires anyone under the age of 18 wishing to obtain a MN Driver’s License to complete an approved course in driver education. District 197's Driver’s Education program is offered in partnership with A+ Driving School. The course is approved by the State of Minnesota and meets all requirements for training anyone under the age of 18. The course fee includes 30 hours of classroom instruction and six hours of behind the wheel instruction.
The fee is $399. Payment can be made in full at the time of registration or in installments or $229 and $170.
Step 1: 30-Hour Classroom
Each student must complete 30 hours of classroom instruction as mandated by Minnesota State law. Upon completion of the classroom instruction, students will receive their card if aged 15. The blue card is required to take the permit test at the DMV.
Step 2: Knowledge Test, also known as the Permit Test
Be prepared with the following documents:
- If you are under the age of 18 at the time of your test and this is your first test, you must bring the blue certificate of enrollment card issued by a driver education program, or you will not be able to take the test.
- Know your social security number.
- If you have already taken the knowledge exam twice for this class of license, you will be required to pay a $10 retesting fee (cash or check only).
- Bring the correct documentation to apply for a permit or license.
When you arrive for your Knowledge Test
- You must wear a face mask to enter the exam station and while taking the knowledge test.
- For a person younger than 18:
- If the person is applying for a credential, a parent or guardian must accompany the applicant.
- The parent or guardian must pass the health screening and wear a face mask.
Once you pass the test you must pay $15.50 for the Instructional Permit to the Department of Motor Vehicles. That cost is not included in your Driver's Ed registration fee.
Step 3: Behind-the-Wheel Instruction
Behind-The-Wheel (BTW) is handled through A+ Driving School, not District 197, but is included in your registration fee.
BTW is a series of (3) 2 hour lessons. Lessons cannot be scheduled until AFTER students have passed the permit test. After completion of BTW, students will receive the white card required to take the road test.
To schedule your BTW lessons, visit A+ Driving School and create an account by selecting "took class with A+." Then select Two Rivers High School from the drop down menu. Account confirmation can take up to 24 hours. Do not try to create an account multiple times. You will be locked out of their system.
Once your account is verified, you can schedule lessons. Select "Woodbury/IGH/SSP/WSP" as your pickup location. Instructors will pick up and drop off from your home, school or a location convenient to you. Include the pick-up address in the notes section.
Step 4: Class D Knowledge Test (road test to obtain the driver's license)
If your student is 16 or older, has had their permit for 6+ months, completed BTW and 50 hours of supervised driving, they can schedule the road test.
The road test is scheduled through the Department of Motor Vehicles here.
|Be prepared with the following documents: