School District 197's magnet schools are:
Garlough Environmental Magnet School
Offers a rigorous environmental studies program emphasizing science, technology, and math
Moreland Arts & Health Sciences Magnet School Grades K-4
Features an arts-infused curriculum supported by effective practices in health and fitness
Pilot Knob STEM Magnet School Grades K-4
Focuses on science, technology, engineering, and math, with projects related to scientific discovery and problem solving
Heritage E-STEM Magnet School Grades 5-8
Provides a focus on science, technology, engineering, and math, with projects and field experiences related to the environment
To provide families with more choices to find the right school for their child, School District 197 includes four magnet schools in addition to neighborhood schools. Magnet schools offer the same rigorous curriculum as other schools, but magnet schools integrate specialized themes ("magnet programs") designed to meet the learning interests and strengths of each child.
All four magnet schools provide:
- Academically rigorous classes that meet state standards
- Group projects and learning experiences
- Attention to individual student learning needs
- Up-to-date technology throughout the building
- A focus on inquiry that teaches students to ask questions that help them learn
- Bus transportation from any location within the school district in accordance with the district’s busing guidelines.
- Special education services, however, based on the student’s Individualized Education Plan (IEP) and level of need, a placement in another district school may be determined.
Magnet schools are free and open to all students. Find out how to enroll in a magnet school.